I have visited Newfoundland 3 times: 1987, 1990, and 2003. Each time I kept a travel diary. Here is an excerpt from my 1990 trip. I was 27 at the time, and accompanied my great Uncle Nehemiah back from a trip he took to Boston to visit my grandmother.
June 19, 1990 St. John's Newfoundland
I walk around wondering if I could live here. I guess it is difficult to get a job teaching in St. John's, so I'd have to go to an outport community. I would like that though I'd have to find a way into St. John's occasionally. There are limited resources here. There's a feminist quarterly called "Waterlily,' a couple of bookstores, one record store, a few coffeehouses, and a nature food store. Some of the Victorian townhouses downtown are grand. They're painted orange and light green, like San Francisco. I suppose rent would not be that much cheaper; I don't know. It's worth looking in to. There are some young people here. I met a woman here working on her master's thesis in folk music. She was from New Hampshire. There seem to be a small number of American and British exiles here. I would like to visit Memorial University and see if I can establish a penpal.
No comments:
Post a Comment